Pages

Jan 24, 2011

Are Social Networking sites making us 'Less Humans'

A friend of mine looked directly into my eyes and said: "I have more online friends compared to those in my real life".

"What do you expect? Internet is the new world." I couldn't wait to reply.

But then there was this silence and I started to digest what I had just said. In real sense, I also have so many online friends that I can't even think about comparing the number with my real friends. They are just incomparable.


But what, really, is the impact of this? I am not alone here.

Is the new technology, under the illusion of allowing us to communicate better, actually isolating us from real human interactions?

Is it dominating our lives by making us 'less humans'?

It is not Facebook, MySpace, Tagged, Twitter, Digg... it's great opportunity... we are everywhere... it's fun!

On the contrary, there is also a great risk of depersonalization, alienation, self-indulgence, and the dangers of having more virtual friends than real ones.

Let's not forget to ask ourselves: "Who is my neighbor?"

1 comment:

nothing profound said...

It's nice to have a balance. There are things I can share with my fellow bloggers that I don't share with my personal friends, and vice versa. My friends offline know more about my everyday interests and activities, and my friends online about my writing.