Pages

Jan 14, 2011

Why are Existing Organizations Hesitating to Use E-Commerce Strategy?

It wasn't long before I realized that the guy I was siting next to was a Marketer in one of the local popular organizations. With confidence I managed greetings. The social mood led to introductions, and we were talking.

The little conversation seemed to interesting to both of us, even though, mostly, I was playing the passive role. The man was just talkative. He enjoyed explaining the details of his work while I was happy to get answers to some of my curious questions.

Contrary to my expectations, the anti-climax came when I brought up the issue of E-Commerce.
"Are you using E-Commerce?" I asked.
"No" He had nothing to add further.
"But what do you think about the strategy?" I tried again.
"I find it complicated in a way that doesn't make sense." He managed carelessly.

The immediate change in his mood was surprising. I looked at him and I remember sighing. I simply knew that I was going no where. Before I could say anything else, he looked at me back cautiously, and said: "Listen, E-Marketing has a lot of disadvantages than advantages." And that was period.

The Internet era is moving fast. The short-spaced developments in the Technology have profound effects. This is especially in E-Business where it is really stretching and widening the available opportunities for all. For instance, the W3C is currently working on two relevant principles:
  1. Web For All - which focuses on removing all the barriers to Internet accessibility by users, irrespective of disability, language, etc. This project has drastically increased online population, the existing and potential customer base.
  2. Web On Everything - which focuses on enabling Internet accessibility on a wide range of devices. The development has awoken M-Commerce, where business people negotiate and carry out transactions worth millions using their handset devices.
The fact that a good number of sound business organizations, both in developed and developing countries, are still hesitating to implement the E-Business strategy, is sad. Thorough research reveals that there is a remarkable opportunity online. One effective barrier to this open opportunity it the individual and collective negative attitude of the business people.

Do you want to hear my view point? I anticipate a future when all forms of businesses will be forced to fully computerize their systems, and to grab a place in the online market. Or, they simply won't be able to compete!



The first Internet company to reach 10 million customers: Amazon, 1999


No comments: